Our mission is to protect what matters most in the world, whether its data or animals, deleting ignorance and working together to understand each other. Let's all do our part!
Conservationist Spotlight: Margaret Thomas “Mardy” Murie (1902 - 2003)
Why we think she’s awesome:
- Earned the title “Grandmother of the Conservation Movement”.
- Made the entire country more conscious of protecting wilderness areas.
- Was the first woman to graduate from the University of Alaska in 1924.
- Went on a caribou research expedition encompassing 500 miles of the Arctic Wildlife Range… for her HONEYMOON.
- Regularly carried out wilderness journeys, packing camping gears and her very own BABIES.
- Helped shape the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Acts, setting aside 104 million acres of land in Alaska and doubling the size of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.”
- Almost lived forever… Murie died at the age of 101 in 2003.